This list is of connections between Mr. Colliver and the Zodiac that have been found so far to date.
Let’s begin with the basic details that any POI in this case needs to match to the Zodiac Killer to even begin to look deeper into their life.
The Zodiac Killer description from witnesses and victims ranged quite a bit. Just using the composite sketch as our guide, we are looking for a;
- white male
- 35-45 years old (in 1969)
- 5’8″ tall, with a heavy build
- short brown hair, with possible reddish tint
- wearing glasses
- Harvey was 44 years old in 1969.
- His CA drivers license in 1969 said he was 5’8″, 165 pounds, with brown hair.
- He wore glasses but fought the DMV about needing them to drive. They revoked his driving privileges on and off throughout his entire life due to his bad eye sight. He told me personally that he lost the sight in his right eye at the age of 18 while he was in the Army. He believed the government used him as a guinea pig to test the affects of penicillin and mustard gas on humans. He accused them of a false positive test for syphilis which is what they claimed he had. He was discharged from the Army in 1945 and so began his lifelong fight for justice for the medical problems he endured after his short time in the Army.
- There were 2 empty boxes hidden in his garage rafters for 2 guns he purchased. A 9mm and a .38 were never found anywhere in house, despite the boxes being found.
The composite sketch has been the subject of debate from the very beginning of this case. Skeptics argue the fact that the sketch shouldn’t be taken too seriously since the witness descriptions vary in all of the cases.
Mr. Collivers weight fluctuated quite a bit in his younger days. His drivers license description varied from 150 pounds to 180 pounds and his height went from 5’6″ to 5’8″. He mentions in his documents where he had been “consumed with something for 30 years and that now that it’s over he can focus on his next project”. He then began to take on a strict exercise regime and built elaborate machines out of wood in his dining room and his garage. I believe his obsession with exercise was his way of working to change his appearance so as to relieve his guilty conscience, perhaps.
Crime Scene Details
- The suspects tire tracks and description of car (from possible witnesses) at Lake Berryessa crime scene match the car this POI drove in 1969. The photo below was taken in 1969 at “the Ranch” (somewhere in Patterson, CA). You can see in this photo that the tires are mismatched in the front and look to be quite worn. The measurements taken by investigators indicated a tire track width that matches the tire track width found for this particular Sunbeam car.
- A document written by Mr. Colliver found by a user on a Zodiac Killer website shows a connection to the case by referring to women (whores) in Tracy, Vallejo and Benicia. It is a list of women’s names and suggestion of some other women that he had had sex with throughout his life.
- Film boxes were found in the garage of his home after he had already passed. They stood out as possibly being a clue due to the symbol drawn on them.
- The document below seems to be a confession of guilt. The wording “I have killed” and “I have a headache” remind us of the call made by the Zodiac Killer to the Jim Dunbar radio show where he claims to have “killed a kid” and he gets “headaches” because of it.
Here is a link to the timeline.
Taking the timeline above, Mr. Colliver was in the vicinity of crimes committed or possibly committed by the Zodiac Killer in each instance. To my knowledge, no other suspect that has been brought forward in the case can be confirmed to their whereabouts during each crime that was committed except for Mr. Colliver.
Please click on the links for more information from the list below.
Ray Davis – Oceanside, CA 1962
Domingos/Edwards – Gaviota 1963
Joyce Walker – Manhattan Beach 1964
Cheri Jo Bates – Riverside 1966
Jane Doe – Huntington Beach 1968
Janice Foiles – Moscow, ID 1969
Kathleen Johns – Patterson, CA 1970
The names on this list above are unsolved murders that might be the work of the Zodiac Killer. They are all cases that are still open in the cities where Mr. Colliver was known to have been living or working in during the times of these murders.
The confirmed unsolved Zodiac Killer cases in the San Francisco Bay Area listed below also fit into the whereabouts of Mr. Colliver at the time they were committed.
Shepard/Hartnell – Lake Berryessa 1969
Paul Stine – San Francisco 1969
There is also this connection:
This is the map the Zodiac Killer mailed June 26, 1970. The black circles with arrows point to dots that were discovered by a user on http://www.zodiackillersite.com. The two circles near Livermore represent the two dots that were found to be connected to Mr. Colliver.
Here is a closer version of the map. You can see the two dots, one over Pleasanton and the other is on Union City. Mr. Collivers home was where the Pleasanton dot is and his brother Ray lived where the Union City dot is.
More about the map connection…
The more I look into Mr. Colliver, the more connections I find.
Another criticized source of evidence is his handwriting. This is a comparison I did in 2018.
The comparison above is of the citizen card (1969) and a letter (1964) Harvey typed to his mother. Note the similarities in the font, spacing and slant of the letters and words between these two documents typed roughly 5 years apart. The letter on the left is from the Zodiac Killer and the letter on the right is from Harvey. Could the same typewriter have been used for both of these letters?
The Zodiac Symbol
In 2009, these film boxes were found hidden in a paper grocery bag in the rafters of his garage. There are 21 of these cases. Fifteen of them had home movies still undeveloped in them and 6 were empty. Oddly, the 6 empty boxes were the ones marked with the Zodiac symbol. The films have been developed and can be viewed by following this link. The home movies are now with his next of kin.
Passionate About Art
Mr. Colliver was an artist. He not only sculpted with clay, he also worked with wood and most notably, he drew portraits and people very well. After bringing his works to the attention of the Zodiac Killer community online, possible connections were found in some of his drawings.
What about these drawings?
Many more can be found by following this link.
The Killers Voice
Several times the Zodiac Killer called in to television stations and radio stations as well as calling the various Police Departments in the areas he committed his crimes. Unfortunately, most, if not all of the ear-witnesses have died now or have no desire to be a part of the case any longer. So the recordings I have can’t be used for a comparison to the Killers voice the victims heard. We do have some statements and audio clips to go off of when investigating this case as amateurs. But as usual, many debate the recordings. Some say the caller was an imposter. When I first heard the audio clip with Melvin Belli and the Zodiac Killer, it gave me chills. There are several coincidences in that audio that I would like to point out.
So the voice to me, sounds like Harvey. Not only does his voice match, the content and his tone match as well. Harvey was a bit condescending, arrogant, inappropriate at times and quite witty. But he could also get tongue tied when he would speak, yet his voice remained very monotone. He seemed to have a large vocabulary and used it a lot. The caller said his name is Sam. Harvey had several people and animals in his life named Sam. Harvey always screamed at the kids for always banging on his door and running away when he’d answer it. Many times I heard him inside his house yelling at the kids and threatening to shoot them with his gun. They tormented him constantly. These are just a few similarities I’ve seen.
Mr. Colliver had a very distinct voice. Below you will find links to audio recordings I’ve processed from cassette tapes he used to record his phone calls with various people. In some of these recordings, he talks about being on the FBI’s most wanted list, he casually jokes about killing masses of people and getting away with it, he tries to affirm the fact that the police are corrupt and uses the Detective Mark Fuhrman in the case of Nicole Brown-Simpsons’ murder as an example of the corruption that happens. He also discusses the unsolved murder case of Jon Benet-Ramsey and his favorite subject about how women are inferior and stupid, slow and worthless.
Audio – Most wanted
Professionals have tried to piece together a personality type for the Zodiac Killer. One interesting thing that always seems to come up is the way the Killer seemed to have some hidden reason for his need to document the time & date of events he was a part of. As if the numbers maybe meant something to him or could possibly be a clue to who he was.
I am particularly baffled by this part of the case only because for years, many many years, I couldn’t make any sense as to why Harvey needed to keep such odd records of every day. When he was younger and could see enough to write, he would document on paper what time he woke up, what time he went to sleep, what time he ate and what he ate. All day, every day. Once he was no longer able to see anymore, he purchased tape recorders and recorded his details on cassette tapes. There are hundreds of them. As well as many decades worth of his journals with the same information. I never thought to ask him why he did it but I just believed at the time that he was maybe a bit forgetful or maybe because he couldn’t tell if it was day or night when he would wake up, he needed to have a way to keep track of when he should be waking or going to bed. I really have no idea why he kept those details. This part of the Zodiac Killers personality connects to the habits of Harvey almost too well. Either way, it makes no sense.
Harvey collected comic books. He also made his own comics and illustrations, as seen below here…
Here is a link to photos of some of the actual comic books he collected.
Leave a Reply